Stroud Green landmarks

Comments

• edited November 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 12:32AM
    I only ever saw the one poem, which was up there for a lot longer than a week, to the extent that the paper was getting as tatty as the versifying.
  • AliAli
    edited 12:32AM
    Ah now know which one you mean there used to be a smaller version of something like that on the left hand side going up Crouch Hill towards CE. Pigeons and things by painted buy a guy in a wheel chair. The garden with all the flowers a bit further along is asking for damp problems as they have built up in front of the air vents
    Is that the Crouch Hill one which still has the bright-but-faded paint job?
    Gone but not forgotten - the cockle stand when Nando's used to be a pub
    I'd also think that Topic Records might be included as behind the rather grubby exterior is a very rich history (and well-used recording studio) of the english folk movement
    @Helen - I'd love to know more about Topic if you'd care to share?
    back to the hedge topiary, isn't there a fish somewhere? UTP maybe?
    The sticking-out clock on Charteris Road.
    @arkady - the lovely link Andy has done tells most of it. As far as i know, Martin and Eliza Carthy, the Watersons and even the late Ewan MacColl have all made the pilgrimage to SGR to record. I'm sure many others have too but haven't worked out how to get into dialogue with Topic (or am too shy to just knock on the door)
    Thanks Helen and all, I shall do some reading.
    Houses opposite SL and Chapter One for their ongoing resilience to drunks who shout their heads off and throw stuff in our front gardens late at night. Gold plate please!
    You should install a bench outside for them kreuzkav - inclusivity and all that. Maybe inside, even?
  • edited November 2010
    They are really quite amazing in the amount of detail he includes. My illustration stye is quite different, more traditional technique - like my Alice drawings Misscara.
    Krappy is on holiday and what he doesn't know is that Mr.Elephants friend, who is also with them, is the original designer of the Elephant. God, this is so exciting.
    Has anyone mentioned the wonderful shop front on Crouch Hill opposite the Dairy. It is a second hand furniture shop but the stuff outside obscures the MOST beautiful curved windows. Have a look on a Sunday as the shop is shut and the windows unobscured. Quite beautiful. It ought to be locally listed.

Someone mentioned the Coach House at 92 Stapleton Hall Road. It used to be a stables. Apparently there were loads of stables in the area for the horses that pulled people's carriages. It was a car repair shop when I moved next door 14 years ago and in its original form. It's now been extended on 3 sides with slightly dubious architecture but it's still a lovely hidden house. I know the people that live there well.
    Thanks for the information Rona.
    @Rona - couldn't agree more. Absolutely gorgeous frontage, and though the 2nd hand shop is quite nice, I can't help but feel that there could be a better use of that space.
  • AliAli
    edited 12:32AM
    There are loads of old stables at the back of Cats
    Also behind Ossian Rd, quite attractive ones too.
    Stapleton Hall itself - oldest building in Haringey on SHR now flats and adjacent to W3 bus stop and with extensions that sprouted in '87-88-ish - and formerly the Conservative club complete with snooker tables etc.

An ancient cast iron sign at pavement height on the wall outside no. 3 SHR marking the border of Haringey.

The decorative end-of-terrace brickwork above the Mind Shop overlooking SHR with 1887 date.

The bell at Stroud Green School - in fact Stroud Green School itself.
    [ Bob Hoskins hated it there and can't be tempted back btw.]

The flat on Sparsholt road -above garage & opposite Noble - where Pepsi & Shirley lived when they were in Wham!

The Jai Krishna

The terrace on SGR for mansion flats above the new Sainsburys where a Magic Lantern show was given and projected on to buildings opposite to celebrate the end of the Boer War.

btw. Japan House in J.Cres. is very nice inside, it's our friends house, but you do have to put up with trains at bottom of garden.

All the various stables mentioned at 92 and on Ossian were in fact workshops making doors, windows, staircases etc. for builders of the exploitative Victorian housing that flooded SG in the late 1800's. [ the boss of whom had Ivy Lodge in Lancaster Rd. built for himself] There was another workshop in the corner of Beatrice Rd. that was Supertune for years -much to the annoyance of Lord Toby Harris - and is now exploitative housing!
  • edited November 2010
    @ Arky - when you do come round to see the elephant hedge, make sure it's: 1) after midnight 2) you're pissed and 3) you exclaim very loudly 'bloody hell look - it's an elephant'.

Actually - I'm going to put it on foursquare and be mayor of it.
    Interesting stuff Twinspark. A fellah on Hornsey Rise told me that the workshops were often inside the first house that they built in any particular area, which would be cleaned up for sale once the properties they were working on became too far from the workshop, then they would start again.
    @Arkady this probably was the case until the scale of house building in the area became too great - workshops seem to be on the odd plots of land that couldn't be easily sub-divided into terraced houses.

I knew the owner of Supertune he serviced our Rover 100 for years and it was his research over years that exposed the 'stable myth' after Haringey tried to prevent an extractor outlet being attached to the workshop exterior. [egged on by near neighbour Lord Harris no doubt ] There were stables near Stapleton Tavern as it was a livery stop.
    @Twinspark: Curious. The 92 SHR plot could have been subdivided just as easily as any other, and there is some indication on old maps that there was a building on the site prior to the terraces going up, albeit of a different alignment to the current structure. Also, is it not the case that different companies bought different, relatively small plots once the roads were laid out, and then built housing according to their standard pattern? These plots were not always adjacent either – for instance the earliest stretch of houses on SHR is built to the same pattern as the oldest house on Mount View (nearest Crouch Hill). And construction didn’t happen all at once – construction of the ’Upper East side’ alone spans the years 1887-1900 at least. Unless the workshops served all the different companies building to different patterns? I’d be curious to see the research.
    The handpainted poster commemorating the death of one "Micheal" Jackson on Lancaster Road.

The hidden entrance to parkland walk on Florence.

The high-security house on SHR. (who lives there?)
    @Arkady

'..The 92 SHR plot could have been subdivided just as easily as any other..' Well there was always a gap between the houses there and clearly it wasn't a bomb site as on Quernmore etc. I think the land to the rear of houses at that section of SHR quickly falls away to railway banking. A friend lives just along from 92 and their huge garden looks down on the railway where as the rear of 92 is a lot closer. The railway co. may have had some influence at the time on how close you could build?

There were certainly templates for house design a,b or c etc. that builder/developers used - I think workshops evolving to serve more than one co. makes sense. e.g Beatrice road workshop was quite small and would have served building there and in Dagmar Road etc. but couldn't have served right over to SHR I doubt. Research not easily recoverable - The aformentioned garage owner retired some time ago but his permission to sell Supertune plot with planning for houses hinged on overturning the stable myth and his architecht came up with with several sites of non-stables ie.workshops, in the area to support his case.

Is the Upper East Side from Crouch Hill to Ferme Park or Ferme Park to railway? Can't see the similarity in those houses - I'll need to walk up and look- but on Mountview they are quite different to first houses on SHR by Crouch Hill which don't have full cellars or a lower ground floor with exterior access or steps up to front door. We have two sets of friends with houses on Mountview and they are big places - also at various bits of SHR which are still big but narrower.
    @godzilla - you don't mean the one on florence which has the strip lighting and the security guard on all night, do you?